QUOTE OF THE DAY

Thursday 26 January 2012

DON'T GET ME WRONG!

Today I'm starting this section on vocabulary. I'm going to teach you phrases that English native speakers use and we sometimes misunderstand or don't know how to use them. This section attempts to approach you to a more natural English, to phrases that are quite useful and more accurate to what we really want to say, for example, when we do not undertand something, we normally ask What did you say? instead of using a more idiomatic phrase such as What was that again.

MAKE MY DAY

This English phrase has two different meanings:
- Someone has done or said something that made you very happy, and it made the day more special for you.
- Carry on with what you are doing - it will give me an excuse to behave badly.

The translation into Catalan is "Dóna'm una alegria" or "A veure si em donaràs el dia":

- I'm afraid I've got some news for you.
- Go on,make my day

No comments:

Post a Comment